But if you find yourself agreeing to all 10 of them, Tan Lili reckons you might want to consider going on a year-long sabbatical.
We may all be busy running the same rat race, but some of us are so hellbent on completing it (haha) that we forget to stop and rehydrate along the neverending journey. Here are 10 telltale signs you need to take a break before it’s too late.
1. You find yourself vacillating between stewing in unbridled rage over non-issues …
2. … and laughing hysterically for absolutely no reason.
3. And heaven forbid last-minute changes to your schedule.
4. You live for Beer O’Clock.
5. You’ve forgotten how your best friend looks like.
6. Instead of counting sheep, you mentally check off your to-do list.
7. You are seriously considering the feasibility of snorting coffee powder.
8. You wish someone could pee on your behalf.
9. The energy it takes for you to summon up a smile has officially become your way of keeping fit.
10. Vacation pictures make you want to curl into the foetal position and drown in your own pool of tears.
Jokes aside, though, I’m sure you don’t need any reminders about stress and its link to a myriad health problems. Apart from physical illnesses like heart-related diseases and weakened immune system, stress can also lead to mental disorders. “If you don’t end up identifying a method to handle your stress then it eventually can lead to a heightened sense of dysfunction,” says Dr Steve Bressert, author of The Impact of Stress on Psych Central. “This may result in increased anxiety or a sense of depression because you’re not mastering your world.”
Know that taking a break every now and then is a necessity, not a luxury. And I’m not just talking about work; we all need some time away from the hustle and bustle of life to recharge our mind so we can come back and take on the madness with renewed vigour.
About The Author: A founder of Material World, Tan Lili has previously worked in magazines The Singapore Women’s Weekly and Cosmopolitan Singapore, as well as herworld.com (now herworldplus.com, the online counterpart of Her World). She is now a freelance writer who works on this website full-time. Lili hopes to travel the world, work with wild animals, and discover more awesome Twilight fan-fiction.