Denise Li needs and gets her beauty sleep on most nights. Her partner … not so much.
I love sleeping, and bedtime is my favourite time of the day. For Alain, “going to bed” means spending a few more hours watching YouTube videos, and going to bed “early” is anything before 2am. Now, I’m the kind of person who can fall asleep with the lights on and TV blaring, and I will probably sleep through most natural disasters as well, so my partner’s nighttime activities and constant tossing and turning doesn’t bother me so much. That doesn’t mean I don’t have problems to deal with though. If you, too, have a partner who has problems falling asleep, you can probably identify with a few of these …
1. You’re always the first one to go to bed.
2. You feel guilty that your partner has so much trouble doing something what you find to be second nature. Even though you know it’s irrational to feel that way.
3. Every time you have use the bathroom, you have to be a ninja about it so as not to wake your light sleeper of a partner (that is, if he’s already asleep).
4. You pee in the dark cos turning on the bathroom light might wake your partner.
5. You’re afraid to wake your partner if you roll over for a cuddle … he might have just finally fallen asleep after four hours.
6. You’re afraid to ask the question “So how did you sleep last night?” (You’ll probably won’t get a positive response)
8. If you guys have to get up early for whatever reason, you’re always the annoying one who has to wake your partner up.
Do you and your partner have completely different sleeping habits and patterns? What are the difficulties you face because of that?
About the Author: Denise Li is a founder of Material World and a freelance writer-editor. Before that, she spent a few years in the Features section of CLEO and Cosmopolitan Singapore. She considers Chiang Mai her spiritual home and makes it a point to head there for a yearly pilgrimage. She’s also a fitness buff and enjoys training in MMA, and doing conditioning workouts. Follow her on Twitter @DeniseLiTweets and Instagram @smackeral83.
[If You Like This, You May Also Like]