October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and here at Material World, we’re all about getting and being informed about the disease, which is the most common cancer among Singaporean women.
Here are some other need-to-know facts*:
- Every 19 seconds, someone in the world is diagnosed with breast cancer
- In the early stages of breast cancer, there is usually no pain, and there are no symptoms. As the cancer progresses, it could manifest in the form of a persistent lump in the breast or armpit area, a newly-retracted nipple, changes in the colour or skin of the breast, areola or nipple, blood or discharge from the nipple, or a change in shape or size of the breast.
- A woman’s risk of developing breast cancer increases with age, and is more common among women 40 years and above. However, there have been women here in their early 20s who have been diagnosed with it too.
- Some studies have shown that drinking alcohol regularly can increase a woman’s risk of breast cancer. This is because alcohol interferes with the way the body metabolises oestrogen, causing blood oestrogen levels to rise and therefore increasing the risk of cancer. Women are therefore advised to limit to limit their intake of alcohol.
- Exercise may help to enhance the immune system’s ability to kill cancer cells or slow their growth rate. Try to work out at low to moderate levels at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes each time.
- Breast cancer is highly curable at its early stages, so be sure to perform a breast self-examination at least once a month. Try to do it 7 to 10 days after the start of your menses as this is when your breasts will be least tender. For the steps on how to perform this self-exam, click this link.
To commemorate Breast Cancer Awareness month, Material World has teamed up with restaurants across the island to bring you the A Sweet Pair promotion, where we give you the chance to win a pair of desserts from a different establishment every couple of days!
Today’s giveaway is courtesy of Spathe Public House. This restaurant is situated at the Mohamed Sultan dining enclave, and serves up its culinary creations on sharing plates, so guests are better able to enjoy multiple flavours throughout the meal. Taking centrestage on Spathe’s menu is the “Mammoth Signatures” section, which sports five of Chef’s signature creations: Confit Duck Puff, Sous Vide Spanish Octopus Salad, Provencal Baked NZ Mussels, Chicken & The Sea, and Mohamed Sultan Meter Dog.
Spathe’s desserts are very inspired creations that include Passionfruit Opera, Tart au Chocolate with Grand Marnier, as well as a Spiced Beetroot and Seed Cake.
We’re giving away a pair of Rainbow Cake In a Jar (worth $30) from Spathe Public House!
To win a pair , simply follow ALL the steps below:
1. Share this post on Facebook with your friends. Remember to tag Material World’s Facebook on your post, and make sure the post can be seen publicly.
3. Click on this link to Like our Facebook Page. Only Material World’s followers qualify for this contest.
4. Private message us your details – name, age, gender, NRIC, and email address. State the name of the restaurant in your message.
Contest ends October 3, 2013, Friday.